Tighter Deadlines and Managing Expectations

Setting Tighter Deadlines

I’m an instant gratification kind of guy as I like to see things come to fruition quickly. That’s not to say I’m not patient, because I am. But when it comes to accomplishing tasks, that are meaningful, I like to execute with swiftness. After reading “4 Hour Work Week” there were several sound bites and principles that stuck with me. The most compelling of these was Parkinson’s Law which is, in my interpretation, setting tighter deadlines for completion to fill the void of procrastination. With that, it’s important to note my personality type, according to Myers-Briggs, is ENFJ which states that I am a “Giver” or I invest my efforts into bringing out the best in others.

Knowing your Weaknesses

I have to admit though, that definition rings true probably 80% of the time. But recently I was working on an iPad app development project with clients and co-workers, and I discovered that I can be short with my peers, especially in business environments.  I came to realize that the other 20% of the time that I’m not building up others I have a tendency to be sharp and piercing in cognizant disregard for feelings as it pertains to productivity. Reflecting on those flawed moments I’m able to identify the importance of effective communication and managing expectations. All that to say, your weaknesses often define you so it’s important to understand what they are and work on correcting your shortcomings. Take a step back every now and then to examine your actions with a critical eye.  For the sake of success, you’ll be glad you did.

Advertisements
Posted in Leadership

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Featured By
fitness apps
%d bloggers like this: